Monday, September 15, 2014

Hasta Luego, Peru

Well, here we are.

The end of another journey; the beginning of a new chapter; the continual discovery of what is to be. I know my other posts have been less formal and have a certain amount of humor, but I don't know how much of that will come through here. For those of you who don't know this about me, I am terrible at saying goodbye. Truly awful. I'm hoping the words I write will capture a moment, a feeling, a wish, or a memory that I can keep. It's less of a 'goodbye' that way.

Moment: Today I found my world a blur of emotions from the time Rossana was making lunch for us, Lucho calling to say he loves us and won't ever forget us, one last photo in the apartment, and Rosanna helping with luggage and hailing the taxi. Her smile and kisses goodbye while waiting on the corner to wave until our taxi is out of sight will forever capture my heart.

Feeling: Hope. The effort, time, and energy that we were able to give to Manos Unidas is merely a drop in the ocean of never-ending need. While this intimidates me, I know that whatever the size of the drop, ripples are sure to follow. The supplies that we brought will continue to bring happiness, learning, and further opportunities to the children and teachers. Physical therapy techniques and ideas that we introduced will help children interact with their peers and family members. My hope is that the amount of joy and love shared will continue to grow and impact that community in a positive way.

Wish: I wish that each person who has supported me in this journey knows how much of an impact they have made. While I have mentioned the difference that physical therapy has made in this community, that is not possible without the generosity, love, and support from family members and friends.

Memory: I might have to cheat on this one and keep more than one memory. You know about Manos Unidas and my host family, but I have hardly had the chance to capture an image of the people I traveled with this September.

A month and a half ago, I remember sitting in the health sciences library with Corrin and Abby while we were on the phone with Jessica. We booked our tickets together that night and the trip became real. That being said, this trip literally was not possible without Jessica. From the beginning, she has been someone who jumps on board with excitement, passion, and a drive to help others. It has been incredible to observe her work as a physical therapist, constantly ask questions about techniques, what could be improved, and be provided the opportunity to try. Jessica has always been there for us during the trip, making sure that we felt comfortable enough to work with the children, but also challenging us to use our clinical reasoning. There is a lot to be said for someone who can find the balance to encourage you as a student, respect you as an individual, and have fun with you during a night out salsa dancing.



To the now-third-year student of physical therapy, Liz, I'll admit that I met her before the trip was even a glimmer of something real, but I didn't really begin to know her until a couple of days before the trip. Meeting up for froyo, I immediately recognized Liz as a down-to-earth person with a good sense of humor. Her compassion for others and patience became more apparent during our time together. It was a blessing to be with someone who exemplifies quality of care, integrity, and an energy to work with children that I have yet to see paralleled. I loved following her example and will continue to do so as I practice physical therapy.



For a girl that can only be described as hilarious, that's Abby. She has a way of bringing laughter and fun to any situation, making the hardest days lighter and constantly reminding you of what is good. In my mind, this makes her irreplaceable. I don't think she is someone who truly realizes the impact that she has on others and the light that she brings to every instance, but that's because she isn't one to dwell on that. I will forever be grateful for the kind of friend she is and I'm happy we had the chance to travel the world a bit together. As a student of physical therapy, she reminds me of the questions that should be asked and kindles my thirst for knowledge. Pretty tough to beat that combination in a friend!



The last personality to compliment this Peruvian physical therapy adventure belongs to Corrin. She is the type of person who keeps you grounded, causes you to look beyond the obvious, and is always there to support others. I know that I could not have processed my emotions the same way each day without her as a sounding board. Corrin also put up with my random questions until the wee hours of the morning, which I'm sure is no easy task. The love and genuine care that she showed me also went into each interaction she had with students, teachers, and every individual involved with this trip. I admire the way she treats others with such a high level of respect and kindness. This is something that I will continue to strive towards and look to her as an example.



A little over two weeks later, here I am. A traveler in an airport, waiting for the airline to open. A physical therapy student with valuable lessons in adaptability, resourcefulness, and serving the whole person, waiting to further my knowledge and skills. A daughter with appreciation for a supportive family, waiting to see them at home. A friend with stories and love, waiting to share them with those in my life. A person ready to chase the next adventure, write the next story, and see how my life changes because of it.



Thank you for all of your love and support.

Catey Lynne

No comments:

Post a Comment