Tuesday, September 2, 2014

¿Cuánto Cuesta?

Today was our first official day at Manos Unidas. Know that I wish I could share what it feels like and everything that we were able to do, but nothing can capture the energy, love, or type of pull that the school has on you. It's that pull that sinks deep into your chest and awakens something you didn't even know was there. It's the way a child can smile at you and a piece of you melts away. It's motivating someone to stand for a hug, when you're not sure who is getting more out of that interaction.

Working with the local PT today looked like an observation with a Q&A session and multiple translations for yours truly (still working on that Spanish). Thursday sounds like it will be more hands on time now that we have a greater understanding for the therapy goals of each child. We were able to see around 7 patients and then help out in others ways around the school. I have a newfound appreciation for SLP therapists after trying to help feed a young girl with specific guidelines provided from an SLP eval. Let's just say it is harder than you would think! (To any of my friends in SLP - don't worry! I helped mostly with head control.)

Celeste graciously gave us a tour of the school so we could see other areas and classrooms, and then we took a lesuirely walk home for lunch. Rosanna spoiled us with a customary local dish that was delicious! I believe Liz or Abby took a picture and it is floating around somewhere. Eventually you might get to see it. :) it was a special chicken and cola with rice. Yum!

We took the afternoon to explore Cusco a bit more, smooshing into another small taxi to bring us to the plaza again. Let it be known that today was much harder to hail a taxi. Usually they are honking at us and making their presence known, but we must have gone at a busy time! Everyone already had passengers. Eventually, we were able to make it further into town and explore an artisan area. The local crafts and clothing are nothing short of beautiful and I'm sure we all wished a few times that we had space to bring more things home. It is amazing what people can make! Also, worthy to take note here that I appreciate traveling with people who actually speak Spanish. There was a point today where I asked how I much I cost versus how much an item cost. Yep. True story. Please feel free to laugh and know that I was not given a monetary answer. :) Thankfully, the lady helping me out also gave me a brief Spanish lesson and a laugh. I was able to trade some French in return.

With that, we headed back for dinner and a night in.

Buenas noches
- CLW



No comments:

Post a Comment